Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Monday, April 20, 2009

THE GOLDEN RULE. By Pastor Fernando

SCRIPTURE
"Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets."

OBSERVATION
The genius and simplicity of Jesus statement about the golden rule is so profound that is one of the godly principles that has crossover from the church to the secular culture. Its practicality will make not only the church better, but also our communities. However, we cannot allow our familiarity with the golden rule to become a nice slogan. It should be one of those non-negotiables and principles to live by at all times.

APPLICATION
Ever since I read the golden rule I've tried to apply it in my own life. But very often my behavior and attitude towards others are not consistent with it in many levels. One level is when I simply treat people in a way I don't want to be treated. This does not happen very often, but it happens more that I would like. Another level is when others treat me like I want to be treated, set the bar really high, but I don't return a treatment that is the same or higher. That does not happen often either. But when it happens, it reveals selfishness and pride. Another level is when I treat people like I want to be treated, but I do it expecting that they will do the same. And when they do not, I feel disappointed. I get frustrated because my situation is not fair.

This last level of application for the golden rule has been affecting me recently. There are people that I treat them with silk gloves and with great generosity. I cater for them with diligence and do them big favors as quick as I can and as excellent as I can. But when they don't appreciate or treat me the same way, I'm tempted to break the golden rule and stop treating people like I want to be treated. Why is that? I think the source of such thinking is based on false expectations. This rule is not an investment rule. It does not say, "If you do good things for people then people will do good things for you." It says, "Do good things to people regardless if they appreciate them or if they return the same attitude." By treating people as I want to be treated I will be living in a way that lines up with God's will for my life. So regardless of how others treat me, I will treat them the way I want to be treated.

PRAYER
Dear Jesus, please forgive me for making my obedience to the golden rule conditional to false expectations about people. The truth of the matter is that sometimes people are going to be selfish, self-centered, and will not respond to me with the same grace and generosity I respond to them. In those moments, please let me have integrity to remain faithful to the golden rule. In all my relationships, let me a giver, not a taker. Help me to treat other people in an honorable not because of what they can do for me, but because of who they are in You - Your children. Amen!

1 comment:

Michelle Bourne said...

Thank you for this post. I am doing a quick devotion for an upward basketball game and wanted to speak on the Golden Rule. Your post gave me some great thoughts and ideas. Thanks again. Michelle