Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Thursday, April 23, 2009

OUTSMARTING WOLVES. By Pastor Fernando

SCRIPTURE
"Look, I am sending you as sheep among wolves. So be as shrewd as snakes and harmless as doves." Matthew 10:16

OBSERVATION
As Jesus sends His disciples to minister, He warns them about the real dangers that come with the territory. Jesus tells them that they will find situations and people that will prey on them like a pack of wolves. For that reason, the disciples need to learn how to avoid them by being shrewd without bringing harm. This is something very difficult. A sheep is not match for a pack of wolves. But Jesus says that we can face them if we are smart and gentle. We don't need to be defensive and ram wolves on our way to safety. We can trick them, we can outsmart them, we can confuse them, and we can leave them hungry.

APPLICATION
Almost in a weekly basis I encounter a situation or a person that displays the characteristics of what Jesus refers as "wolves." They are hungry and I look like dinner to them. They seem to always attack in packs. They show their sharp fangs, they threaten and they intimidate. To be honest, my first reaction is NOT to be smart and gentle. My first reaction is to fight. I might be like a sheep to them, but I can be a very mean sheep. And they may be stronger and ready to take me down, but I will give them the fight of their lives. This may sound courageous, but is simply flat stupid. Jesus says that I can be smart and gentle when dealing with this kind of situations. And if Jesus said it, I can bank on this.

PRAYER
Dear heavenly Father, please give me the wisdom and the gentleness to deal with the pack of wolves that surround me, my family, and our church. Make me a master in the art of trap avoidance. Sometimes people team up with the pack of wolves and I don't want them to get hurt as I confront them. So please give me wisdom beyond mine to win them back to your side. Let me get out of their ambush without harming them. Give me the right words at the right time. Amen!

No comments: