Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Thursday, September 30, 2010

THE DECEPTION OF RITUALS. By Pastor Fernando

SCRIPTURE - Zechariah 7:9-10
"This is what the LORD Almighty says: 'Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another. Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the alien or the poor. In your hearts do not think evil of each other.'"

OBSERVATION
The people of Israel got used to many religious rituals like fasting in certain months, but lost the purpose and the significance of them. In fact, they neglected the most important things of the Law. And they were more concerned in doing the rituals rather than becoming what God instructed them to become, a people that reflected God's glory through justice, mercy, compassion and sincere love for others. Sadly, they did not listen and continue neglecting what really mattered. In Jesus' time we see the same happening with regard of the Sabbath. People were more concerned about the rituals than helping people on the day of rest.

APPLICATION
It's easier to reduce our relationship with God to mere rituals rather than focusing in what God wants us to become. With a ritual we can check the box and have the impression that we accomplish what is required. Rituals can be very deceptive. But when the real test is who we are and who are we becoming, the reality of God's will reveals our shortcomings.

There are more rituals in my daily life than ever before: doing daily devotions, praying for the needs of others, having communion once a month, doing water baptisms every two months, etc... All these rituals can be deceiving and become meaningless if the main purpose of doing them is neglected. And that purpose simple stated is that I become more like Christ.

Today I'm challenged to look beyond all the rituals I practice into the reality of who I am becoming. Rituals are not necessarily bad, but they are not the end of the means. They are means to an end. And if I'm not arriving to the character of Jesus, to the Fruit of the Spirit, then I need to evaluate those rituals and get rid of those which are not helpful in becoming a man after God's own heart, full of passion for God and compassion for people.

PRAYER
Dear heavenly Father, thank you so much for your faithfulness in my life. This morning I'm remembering the song, "I'm coming Back to the heart of worship," when it says, "I'm sorry Lord for this thing I made, when it's all about You!" Please reveal to me when my rituals become a deception and a distraction for what really maters. Bring more of the Fruit of the Spirit into my life and if a religious ritual is on the way blocking my progress, give me the courage to challenge it and get rid of it so your anointing flows like a river and I can become more like you. Amen!

No comments: