Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Thursday, October 30, 2008

HARDENED HEARTS. By Pastor Fernando

Scripture:
They still did not understand the significance of the multiplied loaves, for their hearts were hard and they did not believe. Mark 6:52

Observation:
Jesus was extremely patient with His disciples. Many times they were slow to gain insight on Jesus’ messages and miracles. They were so perplexed and astonished at the miracle of the feeding of thousands that they couldn’t catch up with what Jesus was doing next. Mark is quick to point out the reason of their behavior - hardness of heart. They had Messiah right in front of them and they couldn’t see Him or recognize Him. The hardness of their heart caused them to not believe. One thing is to is to doubt what someone tells you, and another is to doubt what you have seen with your own eyes. They were second guessing themselves and couldn’t believe what was already happening before them.

Application:
Hardness of heart is not a demonized attitude. In fact, it’s very common in all of us and regularly practiced by default. As followers of Christ we may try to push our way. But when an instruction that contradicts or challenges where we want to go is given, our hardness of heart will motivate several thoughts and attitudes that may not please God. We may try to undermine, rationalize, and/or stubbornly make a case for our ways. Our choice should always be to trust and obey, even when we don’t understand what God is asking for. I should appreciate the patience of the Holy Spirit and all my mentors and teachers that have been bearing with my hardness of heart. I should trust them and obey them, softening my heart, and embracing an attitude of genuine submission to the divine order of God.

Also as a leader, I must extend patience and compassion at all times, especially to those under my care that have a hardened heart and that undermine my instructions or cannot listen to my lessons. I must not treat these people as if they were stupid or rebellious. I must extend the same compassion the Lord Jesus gives me when I’m the one slow and hard to listen His instructions for my life.

Prayer:
Dear heavenly Father, I truly want to be more like your Son Jesus when it comes to be a servant leader. Let me be more patient and compassionate with those who are hardened. They are not worse than me, and I’m not better than them. We all love you and want the blessings of faithfulness in our lives. Let us be obedient in your ways. Let us be soft in heart to your instructions, and guide us into a more trustworthy relationship with you. Amen!

No comments: