Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

ESSENTIAL "BURDENS." By Pastor Fernando

Scripture:
For it seems good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay upon you no greater burden that these essentials - that you abstain from things sacrificed to idols, and from blood and from things strangled and from fornication; if you keep yourselves free from such things, you will do well. Acts 15:28-29

Observation:
The Early Church fathers understood the importance of honoring basic essentials in the disciplines of new Gentile converts. In many ways, these essentials were “burdens” necessary for their well-being, spiritual growth, sanctification, and witnessing. The good care of their bodies was seen as an essential concern for new believers to follow. A healthy diet and a godly sexual life were very important, at the top of the list. When this foundation is not strong, other disciplines cannot be built. The apostles did not want new believers slaved in a lifestyle that compromises in those areas. They know that when believers walk away from sexual immorality, idol worship, and unhealthy habits, they will be free and do very well in their spiritual journey.

Application:
These essential burdens set up by the apostles deal with “separation” and “consecration.” A follower of Christ is not like everyone else. A disciple of Jesus doesn’t share the same values of the world, but pledges allegiance to the Word of God and its principles. If these are essential burdens for a disciple, then those who are called to be leaders must build upon them. These basics must remain strong and unshakable for a leader in the church. If as a leader I’m not consecrated/separated for the purposes of God, then I will not be free and i will certainly loose effectiveness in my purpose of service. Such separation, the acceptance and observance of these essentials, defines the starting point of a lifestyle that honors God and His Word. An the word the apostles used is “BURDEN” because this essential are not easy. They require sacrifice, hard work, endurance, determination, and self-control. The flesh must be kept weak. And as the flesh weakens, the spirit becomes stronger.

I think every leader must take a regular break and evaluate their walk with the Lord and their observance of these essential burdens. As I dedicate my life to the ministry, I need to be honest about my separation from the things of the world and live consistently in a lifestyle of consecration - to the things that establish a firm foundation in my worship to God. I must honor the Lord with my body and mind, not just with my sermons. counseling, prayers, and songs. The more I do that, the more prepared I will be for the next season of leadership.

Prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father, please help me to focus more in the way I keep my entire life consecrated to you. Let me have a consistent determination about this, honoring daily your Word, serving you with all my heart, and pruning back to these essentials in my lifestyle. Let me live separated from this world and dedicated to your purposes. Amen!

No comments: