Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

STILL & QUIET. By Pastor Fernando

Scripture:
Lord, my heart is not proud; my eyes are not haughty. I don’t concern myself with matters too great or awesome for me. But I have stilled and quieted myself, just as a small child is quiet with his mother. Yes, like a small child is my soul within me. O Israel, put your hope in the Lord - now and always. Psalm 131.

Observation:
This short psalm of David reveals the importance of simplicity and devotion before God. When we deal with the different issues of life, our nature is to overcome, to find solutions, and to make our lives much better. However, this pursuit can become very self-centered, prideful, and independent from God’s wisdom and intervention. That’s why David concluded that it was better to be still and quiet before God, just like a child runs to his mother for safety and comfort. This is the only way we truly put our hope in God, not in our efforts and good intentions.

Application:
How easy is to focus on our own strength when facing situations in life. My kids love to be independent until they hit a roadblock. They run to me or mommy to find help because they trust in our ability to help them. One of the tragedies of getting old is forgetting that we can always put our trust in God. Self-confidence is important and needs to be developed. God wants is to learn how to solve problems, to make wise decisions, and to deal wisely with difficulties. But He never wants us to do it alone. He is always there to assist us when we need Him. So let’s be still and quiet before God in a regular basis. Let’s dedicate more time and energy to be devoted to him, without barring our head in the ground. We can put all our trust in him, now and forever.

Prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father, forgive me for the many times I want to walk though the issues of life on my own, thinking that I can do things without you. let me be more dependent on you, just like my kids are dependent on me and Karen. Let me put my trust in you for all the issues I face daily in my personal life, in my family, and in the ministry. Amen!

No comments: