Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Thursday, May 15, 2008

SEEK OR FORSAKE. By Pastor Fernando

Scripture:
As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a whole heart and a willing mind; for the Lord searches all hearts, and understands every intend of the thoughts. If you seek Him, He will let you find Him; but if you forsake Him, He will reject you forever.
1 Chronicles 28:9

Observation:
As king David charges Solomon with the assignment of the temple building in this verse, his admonishing as a loving father comes across. More than building the temple, David exhorts his son to seek God. David is passing the baton of his royal assignment, not his personal relationship with God. Solomon has to walk on his own the path of faith. He needs to know the Lord, the God of his father, and learn how to serve him with a whole heart and a willing mind. Ministry is transferable, but intimacy with God must be a personal responsibility to cultivate and maintain.

The wonderful thing about David’s legacy is his special friendship with God. David’s heart was pure and his thoughts were absent from wickedness. He was a sinner, but his heart was not set to sin because of his constant passion for God’s presence. Passion for the Lord results in fruitful obedience. David is more concerned for the condition of his son’s heart, not for the state of the building project. He knows that if Solomon has the right heart towards God, the Lord will bless all his endeavors and the assignment will be done according to the Lord’s will.

Application:
Once again the Lord reminds me of the most important assignment in my life—to be closer to Him, to depend more on Him, and to love Him with my “whole heart” and with a “willing mind.” These last two words are crucial in order to live out my love for God. My mind must be willing to pursue the Lord, to seek His face, to have His insight, and to think like Him. My biggest struggle as both, a believer and leader, is to think according to the mind of Christ. The reason why I sin is because I’m not thinking like God. The reason why I make poor decisions is because I’m on my own, uninfluenced by the Holy Spirit. Forsaking God is more than stop attending church. Forsaking God has to do with not giving Jesus the place He deserves in our mind and in our heart. Instead of being the Master and Commander he becomes my personal Genie, my spare tire, my forgotten umbrella for rainy days.

Seeking God is to cultivate a life-regimen in which the Lord has priority over the tasks. My talents and gifts can take me so far, but the anointing that comes from intimacy with the Lord can take me to the places where miracles happen and where faith is like the air we breathe. Of course I want to have a big assignment in my life and ministry the same way Solomon had. But I want to seek God’s face above all. I want God’s friendship more than the prestige of ministry.

Prayer:
Dear Jesus, please make my mind more willing to seek your loving face above seeking your giving hands. I want intimacy above effectiveness. Prosperity and blessings will be nothing if I don’t have you. Please help my to pray more in such a way that I grow in my dependence with you. Forgive me for the many times in which a serve with half heart, more concerned about my professional reputation than my spiritual growth. Teach me how to seek your face in such a way that my ministry becomes a reflection of my friendship with you. Please Lord I need you more than anything, more than degrees, or more influence, or higher positions. I’m willing to trade my high calling for closeness to you. Give me strength and courage to walk over the places you want me to conquer. Increase my passion for you by the way I live for you. Amen.

No comments: