Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Monday, May 5, 2008

GIVING GOD VETO POWER. By Renee Takahashi

Scripture:
2 Samuel 7

Observation:
This whole chapter is about David wanting to build a house for the Lord. It revealed to me a wonderful example of Godly relationships. David’s intentions were humble and good. He was living in a beautiful palace and the ark was in a tent. He must have thought, “what’s wrong with this picture?” And so he sought council and the prophet Nathan said to do what he wanted to do because the Lord was with him. The very night he spoke those words, the Lord spoke to Nathan and gave him a revelation about what the Lord’s plan was for David and his family. Two things were highlighted as I read the chapter. The first is that the prophet gave David the blessing to do his heart’s desire. Then that very same night, the word of God came to Nathan and he went straight to David and told him what God had revealed. Nathan’s pride didn’t get in the way of speaking what the Lord revealed to him. Just that day, he told David to do as he wanted to and the Lord was with him. Then the next day, he had to come back to David and share the instructions that were not what David wanted to do. This scripture revealed to me the relationship between David and Nathan. They were humble, they respected one another and ultimately, they both were open and willing to allow the Lord to veto anything without judgment upon the other. The second is that David received the words and quickly acted upon it. He too was humble not to fight against Nathan and make him feel inadequate as a prophet because just the day before, he was given the green light to proceed as he desired. Instead, upon hearing the word of God, David went before the Lord and accepted God’s plan in exchange for his own.

Application:
Although my thoughts are racing with a number of gems God has for me in this scripture, I feel led to hone in on one that is so applicable to my walk right now. Almost daily, someone will ask me about which direction to take in a certain situation. I seek God and ask how He wants me to bring the person closer to Him and for words of encouragement and direction. I am not a prophet, but I am a caring sister in Christ. Today I feel empowered to be able to share what is on my heart, but to also be very, very humble to make whatever correction the Lord may bring to me. And in times of revelation, that I would immediately convey the words of God. I must also be very, very careful whom I would give direction to because it has to be in the context of a trusted relationship. I must always be prepared to make the change, take the detour, wait the moment, whatever it is the Lord is asking me to do. And when the Lord stops what is already in motion, to be like David and praise the Lord for the promises of the eternal significance the Lord has planned.
How will I be different today because of what I have just read?
I will not be paralyzed to move as my heart leads, but be ready to obey God’s specific word.

Prayer:
Father God, thank you that you are an abundant God. There are so many things in this scripture that touched my heart but the one thing I really needed to hear was that you are faithful to keep your word to keep me in your will as I seek your face. Thank you Lord that you do not give me a spirit of fear, but of courage to do the deeds you prompt me to. I am humbled to be your servant. I love you Lord.

No comments: