Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Thursday, October 1, 2009

TRUE GENEROSITY. By Pastor Fernando

SCRIPTURE
12Then Jesus said to his host, "When you give a luncheon or dinner, do not invite your friends, your brothers or relatives, or your rich neighbors; if you do, they may invite you back and so you will be repaid. 13But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, 14and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous."
Luke 14:12-14

OBSERVATION
Jesus is instructing against the human tendency to be generous with a hidden selfish intention. The Pharisees liked to make feasts and invite influential people, not because they were hospitable, but because they were shrewd. They gave the appearance of being givers when in reality they were takers. Like master chess players, they would strategically give away something in hopes to take something greater. But Jesus reveals that the true motives behind our generosity will be revealed sooner or later. Those who practice true generosity, the one that has no strings attached and the one that does not hope for something in return or repayment, they will have their eternal reward before God.

APPLICATION
It's amazing the way our nature tries to use something good like generosity and turns it into something selfish. The modern practice of fundraisers has become a strategic game of giving in order to get something. Sadly, we now have to make a distinction between true generosity and fake generosity. Jesus taught us that in our daily lives, when we are giving away, we are letting go and we don't expect anything in return. We may be repaid later on. But that is not the goal of generosity. We give to give. We don't give to get.

I like to be generous, but I can catch myself sometimes scheming ways to get something in return for my generosity. I do that with people and I do that with God. Once again the Pharisee in me tries to pop his head and mess things around. For that reason, I need to be aware of my tendency to give to get, and get rid off it by giving with no expectations of repayment. I know God sees my motives and sacrifices. He will give me His reward.

PRAYER
Dear heavenly Father, please keep my heart pure when practicing generosity towards others and towards you. Let me be generous with all kinds of people, influential and outcasts alike. Give me the joy of giving without expecting one thing in return. Let me stay always on the side of true generosity. Amen!

No comments: