Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Thursday, October 22, 2009

THE GIFT OF LEADERSHIP. By Pastor Fernando

SCRIPTURE

30The men were sent off and went down to Antioch, where they gathered the church together and delivered the letter. 31The people read it and were glad for its encouraging message. 32Judas and Silas, who themselves were prophets, said much to encourage and strengthen the brothers.
Acts 15:30-32

OBSERVATION

The first leadership team the church ever had encountered their first crisis. There was a disagreement about how to honor the law of Moses under the New Covenant. James was a team player and a great leader. He moderated the meeting at Jerusalem and as a team the church came to a wise decision that was quickly passed out to all the churches. I'm sure that some people were upset at the final decision, but Luke's report in this passage shows that the decisions brought encouragement and direction to the churches. The sincere believers were glad and followed the instructions, and the church kept growing and thriving.

APPLICATION

Once again the Scripture highlights not only the philosophy but also the procedure of doing church as a team. Their actions were consistent with their words. It was not about "the end justify the means." Both the end and the means were led by the Holy Spirit, who gave James the gift of leadership to serve the entire church, not just his personal agenda. Decisions were made as a team, people's voices were heard, and a decision was made in harmony and unity. This is the way we need to live our lives, our ministries, and our families.

Recently I have been in situations when important decisions need to be made at the church, in my family, and in other settings. Each circumstance is different. However, the biblical principles described here can be applied in all of them. My heart is to follow God's ways but sometimes my actions are not consistent. I want to make decisions on my own, without any input of collaboration because I want swift response. I need to let the Holy Spirit guide me with the gifts He generously give: leadership, self-control, wisdom, discernment. Every time the Holy Spirit takes over, not me, we will succeed and draw close to God's presence and will.

PRAYER

Dear heavenly father, please let me abandon my will and mind to the power of your Holy Spirit. As a leader at home and at church, help me to always be consistent between philosophy and procedures, between desires and actions. Help me to be skilled in the gift of leadership you have given me and to honor the position of leadership you have entrusted me with. Let the fruit of my leadership always be honoring to you as people are strengthened and encouraged. Amen!

No comments: