Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Friday, October 30, 2009

GRUDGES by Pastor Mark Olson

SCRIPTURE - Mark 6:19

So Herodias nursed a grudge against John and wanted to kill him. But she was not able to,

OBSERVATION

Herodias was upset over John the Baptist calling her marriage to Herod unlawful so she was angry and held a grudge against John. And we see that the grudge led her to have John killed.

APPLICATION

Grudges can be such a terrible thing to allow to grow in our hearts. We may often try to dismiss them as “no big deal”, but they can be one of the most destructive things we can ever allow in our hearts. The scripture says she “nursed” the grudge. Such an interesting word. It’s like she took care of the grudge, feeding it, encouraging it, helping it to grow just like a little pet, or a plant. Eventually it matured and “blossomed” into a horrible plan to have John the Baptist murdered. Whenever I am offended or upset over something someone says to me or about me or someone does something in my life that hurts me, I need to deal with it immediately before God to make sure that offense doesn’t settle down into my heart and grow into a monster that eventually overtakes me and causes me to do things I would never think of otherwise. It doesn’t always mean I have to talk to the offender, but I must ask God to “kill that seed” of the grudge in my heart before it starts to grow and develop. If I don’t, the end result could be very destructive to me and to those around me.

PRAYER

Father, help me to remember the lesson of Herodias - nursing a grudge will only lead to destruction. Make me sensitive to the beginning of a grudge settling in my heart and remind me to bring it to you immediately for forgiveness and cleansing. You are the judge. You are the one to deal with offenses. Help me to forgive as you have forgiven me. Thank-you for your word speaking to my heart. I love you, Lord. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments: