Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Saturday, October 24, 2009

QUESTIONS ? by Pastor Mark

SCRIPTURE - Acts 17: 11b -

….. for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.


OBSERVATION

When Paul preached the word to the Bereans, they began to search the scriptures every day to determine if what Paul was saying about Jesus was true.


APPLICATION

In our New Life Construction Discipleship series we are learning about the importance of God’s word. That the Word is life to me as a Christian and I need it every day – just like I need physical food every day. But here, the writer points out that the Bereans searched the scriptures every day for answers. They had questions. They wondered if this stuff that Paul was preaching was true and dug into the scriptures to find out. Makes me realize that God is not afraid of my questions. In fact, I think He welcomes them, just like a loving father welcomes the questions of their child when they come and ask – “Daddy, what about …... ?” I always loved when my daughter asked me questions and I was able to impart some small gem into her life to help her grow. Even now, as a 26 year-old woman, my daughter comes to me with questions. Earlier this week she called me from Florida to ask how to stain and varnish an old dresser she bought. Not a very “spiritual” question, but I loved it just the same ! That’s the same desire that God has for us. He loves to show us truth. He waits for us to come to Him just like I love to get those phone calls from my daughter. So if I have questions, I shouldn’t be afraid to ask God for answers. He waits for us to come to Him with questions and He loves to provide answers to our questions as we search His Word.


PRAYER

Lord, help me to remember that you are like a loving father - yearning to teach and train me, like a small child. Your desire is that I come to you with my questions and seek the answers in your Word. Help me to grow as I search the Word for answers and help me to remember I need to seek you out daily, just like the Bereans did, searching the scriptures in Acts 17. Thank-you for this reminder. I love you, my Father. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments: