Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Thursday, October 8, 2009

SACRIFICIAL GIVER. By Pastor Fernando

SCRIPTURE
1As he looked up, Jesus saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. 2He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. 3"I tell you the truth," he said, "this poor widow has put in more than all the others. 4All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on."
Luke 21:1-4

OBSERVATION
Jesus displays his brilliant insight when teaching his disciples about generosity. As He observes the truly sacrificial giving of this poor widow, He compares it with the giving of the rich. The checks of the wealthy may have had lots of numbers on them, but they had no faith and no heart. The two copper coins the widow gave may not be impressive enough to the human eye, but they were full of faith, hope, and trust in God to take care of her needs. Jesus wants to make sure that this widow's heart is displayed for generations to come as her giving is recorded in Scripture. That should be our heart, our motive, and our joy when we give.

APPLICATION
I would not like having my giving compared to this poor widow. I would be seriously embarrassed. I've been generous all my life. Several times I gave things away with a sacrificial heart, but I have never gave it all. I never sacrificed everything in order to depend fully on God. The funny thing is that every time I give something away, without intending something in return, God always provides my life with greater blessings. If I give money away, God brings more money to me. If I give cars away, God always brings a better car to me. So why don't trust God with everything? Well, the answer I may not like that much. My doubts and hesitation reveals that I have a hard time trusting God to take care of my needs completelly. I know God will take care of my needs, but when it comes to jump in the water and truly give it all, I struggle with it.

PRAYER
Dear Lord Jesus, I'm embarrassed to see how difficult is for me to really give everything away and fully trust in your hand of provision to take care of all my needs. Keep changing my heart until I get to that point where without hesitation I can give my everything to you. Let me have this poor widow's DNA. Help me to become truly reliant in your hand of provision for everything in my life. Amen!

No comments: