Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

RESILIENCE TO FOLLOW HIM. By Pastor Fernando

SCRIPTURE
Then Jesus said to him (Peter), "Follow Me!"
John 21:19

OBSERVATION
After the resurrection, Jesus has in his mind to restore Peter's confidence to be a follower. After his failure denying Jesus, Peter felt disqualified from the higher calling. So he went back to his old fishing business. Peter's past failures were a roadblock and Jesus masterfully demolished them by giving Peter grace and by reconfirming his assignment to feed God's flock. That's when Jesus pronounced the same words He spoke to Peter 3 years before, "Follow me!" But there was another roadblock in Peter's life - comparison. He compared himself with Johnny the "Good Boy." Jesus, once again, destroys that roadblock by rebuking Peter's insecurities and by exhorting him to focus in his own assignment, not in John's. And once again, Jesus said, "You must follow me."

APPLICATION
Following Christ is a matter of resilience and determination to demolish any roadblock set in front of us. For Peter, past failures and comparison were on the way. I can relate to Peter about this, especially when my own past threatens to disqualify me from the race. Every time I fall my pace slows down. Sometimes I want to go back to my old business. In my reasoning, I cannot see myself leading God's people if I cannot lead myself well. Yet, the Lord in His grace keeps calling me, saying, "Follow me." I need to make a clear decision every time I face my failures... am I going to follow Christ wholeheartedly, or am I going to be distracted with self-pity. I must be willing to follow Him with resilience, even against my own failures. I need to trust in His grace and embrace His calling to feed His flock. God did not made a mistake when He called me to this assignment. He knows what He is doing. I need to follow Him with resilience.

PRAYER
Dear Heavenly Father, sometimes I don't understand why you did call me to follow you. I'm not the brightest, nor the most capable, and certainly, I'm not the most faithful. I cannot run away from your calling to follow you, especially when I'm facing my past failures. Please help me to trust in your grace and honor it by following you with resilience. Let me face my opposition with dignity, faith, and determination. Please restore me and heal me from my own failures, and give me endurance to follow you regardless of my performance. I love You Lord! And I will follow you all the days of my life.

No comments: