Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Monday, July 6, 2009

RETURN TO ME. By Pastor Jan Tomai

SCRIPTURE
“I also withheld rain from you... So two or three cities wandered to another city to drink water, But they were not satisfied; Yet you have not returned to Me,” Says the Lord.
Amos 4:7,9

OBSERVATION
Here God is using natural disasters to reveal sin; yet, He expresses His anguish of the people not returning to him. He reveals Himself to them in a vulnerable and seeking way that they would return. Yet, they seek out other refuges to feed their thirst. What incredible love God gives them!

APPLICATION
When God reveals my sin, do I seek out another refuge to feed my thirst? I can hear my self rationalizing that it isn’t serious sin so this little side step of living life without God is really OK, Right? Honestly, I have heard God in a still small voice tell me to ”return to Me“ when I have put Him on hold while I feed my thirst of self-centeredness, selfishness, laziness, sorrow. And, it has been scary where I was headed. How do we thank a God that is so faithful He never leaves us ”alone“?

PRAYER
Lord, please continue to keep me on the straight and narrow. Forgive me for looking to satisfy my thirst elsewhere and never, never give up on me. The bread of my life is you and you alone. Your ”return to Me“ saves my life.

No comments: