Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

WALKING AHEAD OF PEOPLE. By Pastor Fernando

SCRIPTURE
The Lord said to Moses, "Take your shepherd's staff, the one you used when you truck the water of the Nile. Then call some of the leaders of Israel and walk ahead of the people. I will meet you by the rock at Mount Sinai. Strike the rock, and water will come pouring out. Then the people will be able to drink." Moses dis as he was told; and as the leaders looked on, water gushed out.
Exodus 17:5-6

OBSERVATION
The generation of Israel coming out Egypt were very difficult to please. Their mindset is set in complaining rather than in trusting God for provision. They grumbled and complained to Moses about water, and they were furious! But God, in His unfailing love, instruct Moses to take his staff and walk ahead of the people. This is very interesting because there is an important shift in Moses style to lead the people. He was one that walked with the people, but now he has to walk ahead of the people. He has to be few steps ahead into God's direction. He cannot be part of the caravan, he has to scout, he has to lead, and before everyone else, he needs to find the place where god's presence is with his provision.

APPLICATION
Many times we focus in the immaturity and grumblings of the Israelites so much that we miss Moses' desire to be transparent and point out his mistakes. Moses should have been walking ahead of the people, meeting God in the places where his glory will reveal, and then, leading people to those places. The context suggests that he wasn't. He was constantly in the defensive as a leader - puting down fires, reacting to peole's complains, shooting from the hip. But God's simple suggestion to walk ahead the people is very important to embrace and apply.

For the last three months I've ben evaluating several areas in my life and I realize that I've been in the defensive for way too long. I know how to be on the offensive because I've been there. When leaders are on the defensive, they give room for people to complain, grumble, and bail out. I think is important to realize that as leaders we set the bar. If things are not happening, we need to look in our leadership capabilities rather than in people's flaws. Leaders walk ahead of the people. And if they don't, they will be overun by the people.

PRAYER
Dear heavenly Father, thank you for speaking to me and for instructing me to walk ahead of the people. I'm sorry I've been allowing so much stuff in my life that causes me to slow down and walk with the people. Help me to learn the lesson and to take few steps ahead so I can lead people better. Let me find you as I run towards your presence. Help me to be the shepherd your people deserves. Amen!

No comments: