Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

VICTIM OR VICTOR. By Pastor Fernando

SCRIPTURE
But Joseph told them, "Don't be afraid of me. Am I God, to judge and punish you? As far as I'm concerned, God turned into good what you meant for evil. He brought me to the high position I have today so I could save the lives o many people."
Genesis 50:19-20

OBSERVATION
Joseph displays the heart of God when it comes to extend grace and mercy to those who have offended him in the past. His brothers did something horrible to him, yet Joseph responded gracefully and kindly when he had the power to punish them. He understood that when you do what is right, even if life treats you unfairly, God is just and will redeem you. Joseph did not became a victim of the circumstances. He was the victor over his circumstances. Also in Luke we can see Jesus' perspective on his sufferings. He refers to Himself as a "rejected stone," that in God's hands would become the "cornerstone." Jesus was not a victim of the circumstances. He conquered over all His trials and brought a redemption greater than words.

APPLICATION
The path of redemption can be easily compromised when we assume the attitude of a victim. One of the worse attitudes in the human spirit is the sense of hopelessness people have because of what others have done against them. Joseph proved that becoming victims of our circumstances does not help to overcome them. The best approach is to embrace redemption and to see the power of God at work changing the tables on the enemy. I've seen this miracle over and over again. The biggest pattern of all, the cross of Calvary, both the symbol of death and redemption, proves once and for all that God is fair. He will always redeem the righteous.

In my own life, when thinking about what some people have done against me, or neglected to offer me, I know I would waste my time thinking in how I've been the victim of the circumstances. Race, culture, country of origin, education, or any other aspect of my life that could be perceived as a disadvantage by some, will be used by God to bring redemption. I will conquer when others have predicted doom. Because of God's pattern of grace, I will also extend kindness and forgiveness when the tables are changed and I have the upper hand. In those moments, we cannot seek revenge, or to run quickly to bring punishment, or misuse our authority to carry on a personal vendetta. Our power and authority is given to be kind and to display the love and grace of God. That's how we become victors, not victims.

PRAYER
Dear heavenly Father, thank you so much for all the circumstances in which I've been rejected, put down, distrusted, and even offended. I refuse to become a victim of those circumstances. Rather, I choose to walk tall, to embrace your assignment, and to be faithful to what You call me to do. Please help me to stay focus as I embrace the path of victory over my circumstances. As promotion comes and more authority becomes available, please help me to use it wisely, not for personal gain, or for revenge. But help me to use my authority to be kind to those who rejected me hurt me. Let me follow Joseph's example, and let me be more like you. Amen!

No comments: