Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Thursday, January 22, 2009

SEEING THE BEST IN PEOPLE. By Pastor Fernando

SCRIPTURE
"Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to have all of you, to sift you like wheat. But I have pleaded in prayer for you, Simon, that your faith should not fail. So when you have repented and turned to me again, strengthen and build up your brothers." 
Luke 22:31-33

OBSERVATION:
When Simon Peter was at his worst, Jesus was able to see the best in him. The Lord knew that Simon's faith was going to be tested because Satan was after everything in Simon Peter's life: his calling, his relationship with God, and his self-esteem. Instead of being indifferent to the situation, Jesus pleaded in prayer before God, as a loving shepherd, interceding for Simon Peter. Even though Peter was walking in the wrong path, Jesus trusted that he would find humility to repent and strength to build up his brothers. When fixing his eyes on Peter, Jesus never saw a failure in front of him. He saw a "rock," a man that would overcome and that would find redemption and victory in his life.

APPLICATION
When people walk away from God's will for their lives I have a tendency to neglect the good shepherding skills that Jesus displays. When people go their own way, I must try everything I can to stop them. But at the end, I cannot force them to change and I have to let them go. Nevertheless, I must never abandon them in my prayers. I have the tendency to limit my perspective and see people by the mistakes they make. But this morning I'm encouraged to see people with the eyes of redemption. I need to have the heart of Jesus to shepherd people well by seeing the best in them. Even when they hurt me by their decisions, I need to trust that they will see the light and embrace the redemptive plan of God in the future. I need to intercede for them, that they will pass the test, and that they will embrace humility and repentance quickly. I need to trust that God can still use them for great things in the kingdom in spite of their poor choices.

PRAYER
Dear heavenly Father, please forgive me for the many times I don't see the best in people. I want to be a good shepherd, that genuinely cares for them, even when they choose to walk away from your will. The enemy is after the sheep that you have entrusted under my care. Some of them will go through difficult tests of faith. Let me be on your side as I intercede for them. Guard my heart from negligence or any kind of bitterness against them. Let me trust in your redemptive plan for their lives. I love you Lord. Amen!

No comments: