Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

SPECKS AND LOGS. By Pastor Fernando

Scripture:
"And why worry about a speck in your friend's eye when you have a log on your own? How can you think in saying, 'Friend, let me help you get rid of the speck in your eye,' when you can't see past the log in your own eye? Hypocrite! First, get rid of the log from your own eye; then perhaps you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend's eye."
Luke 6:41-42

Observation:
Jesus wants His followers to help one another and to deal with the issues that hinder them from moving forward in their journey. But before we help each other, we must be willing to help ourselves. Jesus clearly points out that we cannot help others if we do not deal with our issues first. It doesn't mean that we must be perfect in order to help others. It means that we need to deal with our issues and confront them before anything else. If we want wholeness for others, we need to be willing to pursue wholeness for ourselves first.

Application:
It intrigues me every time that certain people come to me with a sincere desire to help other people. Their desire to help is noble, but they are not aware that they need help themselves before anything else. And when they are aware of it, they think that they are going to get better as they help others. The reality is that we must undergo through a process of restoration with God before we want to be used to restore others. Otherwise, we will be blind leading the blind. For that reason, I must be willing to deal with the logs of my own eyes before I deal with people's specks. I cannot neglect God's work on me. The most important ministry is the ministry of my own heart. I need to be willing, diligent and resilient in pursuing healing and restoration for my own life before pretending helping others. My call to serve others is a call to serve myself. I must make sure that Jesus is removing the logs from my eyes so I can share through experience how God removes specks from people's eyes. The more vulnerable and humble I am about this, the more efficient and effective my ministry to others will be.

Prayer
Dear heavenly Father, I come to you with a humble heart, willing to work in the logs of my own eyes. Help me to avoid the hypocrisy that has become normal and that tells me that I can neglect my logs in order to take care of other people's specks. Please restore my life and make me whole in the many areas I'm not reflecting your image. Transform me according to your Son Jesus. Make me more like you. And as you remove the logs from my eyes, let me help those who have specks in theirs. Amen!

No comments: