Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

PRESERVATION. By Pastor Jan Tomai

SCRIPTURE - Psalm 16:1-2

“Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge. I say to the Lord, ‘You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you.’"

OBSERVATION
We think about preserving food, time, ourselves in health and beauty, possessions and even memories. Sometimes, a lot of time and money is spent on exercise, looking just right, education, vacations, therapists. There is an overwhelming need to control our minds, bodies, and emotions. Philanthropists abound adding accomplishments to their names. But, God cuts to the quick...no matter how diligent we are at preserving what we see as ours, there can be nothing good that comes from ourselves. Only God brings the good.

APPLICATION
Sometimes, I think that I so desperately need to preserve things...especially memories, certain sounds or smells. I am not saying that memories are bad, but they do not necessarily bring good into life. In fact, some memories bring regrets, deep unbearable sorrow, and can even paralyze one’s ability to act. What if I used the yardstick of good coming from the need to preserve? What part does God play or is God apart of me in these endeavors? I think finding refuge in God would then become more a part of my life. It is something I greatly desire. For me, it is much like sitting in a dark room, comforted and content with nothing but God’s presence. Bathed in peace with no need to think at all...

PRAYER
Lord, help me to take refuge in You. To lay aside trying to do so many things apart from You. My only hope of preservation is in You and having favor in your eyes. Thank you, Lord, for being my Savior.

No comments: