Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Thursday, January 28, 2010

BOLD BEYOND REASON. By Pastor Tj Gorum

SCRIPTURE

Now as they observed the confidence of Peter and John and understood that they were amazed, and began to recognize them as having been with Jesus. Acts 4:13


OBSERVATION

Here we have the disciples before the elite and literate of the time. These uneducated scrubs sit before this council because God has chosen to use them. Now if it was me and any joe smoe I would expect these uneducated men to cower in the presence of the wisdom of this world. Surely they would be refuted by the articulate responses of the religious leaders. Surely they would be silenced in light of the quick quips these men would give. Yet these uneducated men look more like gladiators than fishermen. They stand tall, heads held high before their accusers. Not in mockery or arrogance, but alive in the simple fact that they their source of strength and power is beyond them. They have the power of Christ. Not they know about the power of Christ or have heard about it, they have it. And it shows. Everyone knows it. What strikes people about what they see in this instance is their confidence goes beyond them. They know they were with Jesus. When Moses would leave the presence of God people could see it. It is this intrinsic familiarity that cries out to them. God’s fingerprint in creation recognizes its own.


APPLICATION

I was listening to a sermon by Andy Stanley the other day talking about the life of Joseph. He was talking about how Joseph stood out in the midst of adversity because God was with him. His question for everyone in the room was-If someone was in your exact circumstances of life, with your resources and your abilities, but knew 100% that God was with them, what would they do? Or in essence, what would you do if you knew that God was with you?

It changes everything. Normally we look for God after we look through our circumstances. But now it is a matter of looking for God’s presence than the circumstance. God was with Joseph even in prison. Joseph stood out because God was with him. In the same way I know that this is what I need to focus on. If I focus on manifesting the presence of God in my life than I will have this same confidence because if God is for me, than nothing can be against me. I used to rely on this but somewhere along the line it became about my skill or perfect plan. IF the conditions were right then God would show up. Now I do my best to prepare and then fully expect God to be there because it isn’t about my skills or abilities but if He is there. Where He is change and transformation happens. Hearts change at a moments notice, chains are destroyed, and life abounds.

In this season of life I now lead from the standpoint that God is with me. In the coffee shop, God is with me. In my finances, God is with me. I need to “gird” myself by preparing and doing my part, but HE will come through. As Joseph built storehouses in order to house the abundance, God is the one who brought the bountiful harvest. Today I choose to build my storehouse in full faith because I know that God is with me and I have heard his call. I walk in authority now knowing that indeed he will work and walk before me and after me.

As a leader, when men look at me they must see my confidence. Not in the fact that I am capable or smart. They must look at me and see the confidence that I have the power of Christ and have been with him and He continues to be with me. From this point forward I want to walk in expectant faith rather than reluctant obedience.


PRAYER

I would rather walk through the darkest valley with You by my side than to walk on the highest peak on my own.

No comments: