Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Friday, January 22, 2010

BEWARE OF FALSE HUMILITY. By Pastor Fernando

SCRIPTURE - Exodus 4:10-14

Moses said to the LORD, "O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue. "The LORD said to him, "Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD ? Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say." But Moses said, "O Lord, please send someone else to do it." Then the LORD's anger burned against Moses...

OBSERVATION
After several years of desert living, God restored Moses' calling to lead the Israelites in a supernatural way. God appeared and spoke to him to confirmed his calling to set the Israelites free. But Moses had lost all his confidence and was filled with insecurities about it. He went from being overconfident enough to kill an Egyptian, to being extremely insecure and hesitant. God gave him a supernatural provision and a supportive promise to back him up in his quest. But it wasn't enough for Moses. He even tried to pass this opportunity to someone else, which it may seem very noble, but it was clearly an expression of unbelief, distrust, and false humility. Such attitude caused God's anger against him. And even though God was angry at Moses, The Lord continued affirming him and providing him with more resources to accomplish God's plan.

APPLICATION
The Scripture declares in Numbers 12:3 that "Moses was a very humble man, more humble than anyone else on the face of the earth." But such humility wasn't granted from the get go. It was developed through all the circumstances Moses went through. Like a pendulum swinging between overconfidence and false humility, Moses' life went through both extremes until finally he found himself in a balance, resting in God's plan for his life, and with a humble heart.

In my personal life I want to find the balance of true humility. I'm aware sometimes I struggle with overconfidence. But more often, and especially recently, I see myself struggling with insecurities, hesitance, and false humility. God has been promoting me to places, opportunities and positions of influence I never saw possible for me. Quite honest, I feel unqualified for most of them. And even though this is healthy for my character, I can see how the pendulum wants to go over too far on the side of false humility. I know that God resists the proud and rejects the arrogant and overconfident. But also in this passage we see God getting angry to those who practice false humility, the insecure, the hesitant and the under-confident.

PRAYER
Dear heavenly Father, please forgive me for the extremes I often practice as I struggle to develop a true sense of humility in my life. Today I need to ask you to forgive me especially for a sense of false humility that has been trying to find a secure footing in my heart. Please bring balance to my life so I can become truly humble before you and before men. I don't want to make you angry. I want to glorify your name. So help me top think in a healthy way about the calling you have for this season in my life. Help me to be courageous to do what you want me to do, confident in your provision and promise, and secure in your power to use me. I love you Lord, Amen!




No comments: