Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

DEALING WITH UNRESOLVED SIN. By Pastor Fernando

Scripture:
If we say we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and refusing to accept the truth. But if we confess our sins to Him, He is faithful and just to forgive us and to cleanse us from every wrong.
1 John 1:8-9

Observation:
John reminds people about the reality of sin in those who walk with the Lord. “God is light and there is no darkness in Him” means that those who have fellowship with God cannot be in darkness because God’s presence in them, even if is like a small candle, will illuminate their lives and dissipate darkness. The problem is when a Christian sins and they fool themselves about it by making excuses, by rationalizing it, or by making it right and acceptable before God. When a believer sins, there’s only two options: to embrace the sin or to confess it and repent before God. If they choose the first option, they are fooling themselves if they think that they live in fellowship with God. If they choose the second option, God’s presence will bring forgiveness and restoration so that person can keep walking in the light of God’s truth.

Application:
As I have the opportunity to lead people in their walk with Christ, I expect that sooner or later each believer will face their compulsions and nature of sin as they walk with the Lord and fall. We all are sinners. But if we choose confession and humility before God, we will become sinners with hope. Unfortunately, there are many brothers and sisters that are so entangled in their sin that they choose to embrace it. The great majority think that God is still with them as they walk in a sinful lifestyle. They misunderstand God’s grace. In the prodigal son story, the Father doesn’t go after son to provide his light of blessing and protection. The father, brokenhearted, lets the prodigal go away. He only waits for his son to come to his senses and to comeback to the house where he can find light and shelter. My heart breaks for brothers and sisters that live in denial, that choose to embrace their sin, and that end up fooling themselves as they refuse to accept the truth. In my personal life, I need to deal with unresolved sin as quick as I can. I need to return to my father in humility with sincere confession and determined repentance. Also, I need to help people to come to their senses, to stop fooling themselves, to confront them with the truth in love, and to expect the best out of them.

Prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father, please let me come to you with a repentant heart as I fall in my walk with you. I stumble over and over and I need your mercy and grace. I don’t want to excuse, rationalize, or cover up my sin. Let me be always quick to deal with unresolved sin. In the same way, please help me to guide people into the truth. Father, I pray for the many brothers and sisters that are living right now in deception, embracing their sin, and walking away from the truth and the light of your love. I wish I could go after them. But I need to follow your example and wait for them. I must expect the very best out of the worse people. Please set them free from their deception, help them to remember your love and grace, and prepare our hearts as they return to your home to enjoy fellowship with you. Amen!

No comments: