Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Friday, January 14, 2011

NURTURING HUMILITY

SCRIPTURE - Luke 14:10-11

"Instead, take the lowest place at the foot of the table. Then when your hosts sees you, he will come and say, 'Friend, we have a better place for you!'Then you will be honored in front of all the other guests. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted."


OBSERVATION

Jesus here reminds us of the blessings and divine favor we receive when remaining humble. The rules of God's kingdom are very different from this world's. This paradox in God's Kingdom always favors the lowest, those who are intentional about nurturing humility as a lifestyle.

APPLICATION

Nurturing humility is a daily intentional process that could be easily neglected when being distracted with the ways of this world. It's easy to plant seeds of humility when you come from the bottom, when you are the underdog, when no one gives you importance or attention. But when success and relevance comes, there's a tendency to trade seeds of humility for seeds of self-preservation. When we have the titles, positions, honors and recognition, our sinful nature will become stubborn in doing whatever it takes to protect them and will scheme to attain even more.

I can see this tendency in my own life. Today 14 years ago I moved to the US from Colombia with nothing but two suitcases, a guitar, and a call to become a pastor. It was easier back then to seat in the back and plant seeds of humility. I was very humbled when I was struggling to speak English, to find my way in this complex culture, and to walk in God's plan for my life. I can declare with my own life how God exalts the humble.

Now 14 years later I have more "success" that I could ever imagine for this stage of my life. I have a wonderful marriage, a loving family, loyal friends, and a thriving ministry. But honestly, the temptation to fight for self-preservation and to go straight for the seats of honor to achieve "more" success and relevance is always present. I need to be intentional now more than ever in planting seeds of humility in my life.

PRAYER

Dear Heavenly Father, today I'm motivated to never neglect nurturing humility not because I can be more exalted, but because you bring closer to you those who are humble in heart. Never let me forget where I come from. You are the One who has raised me up. It's your favor in my life that has placed me in seats of honor. Please reveal clearly where I'm exalting myself, where I'm planting seeds of self-preservation so I can plant seeds of humility once again. Amen.

No comments: