Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Thursday, January 6, 2011

GUARDING MY HEART. By Pastor Fernando

SCRIPTURE - Luke 6:45

A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.

OBSERVATION
Our heart is like like a reservoir tank where we get our water from for survival. We depend on this tank to be well nourished and hydrated. If something different than pure water comes to the tank, it will contaminate our vital source for survival. It could be that at first we don't notice the pollution. But slowly it starts affecting our body. Symptoms consistent with poisoning will appear. And if the supply is not purified again, our very lives are at high risk.

Jesus addressed the importance of what comes into our heart. We must be aware that what we allow in our hearts has a huge influence in the outcome in our lives. Our attitude is affected by what we store in our hearts. Our speech is affected by what we store in our hearts. If we allow junk to come in, why we are surprised when junk comes out of it?

APPLICATION
Life is very simple. It is ruled by certain unchanging principles. One of those principles is "Cause and Effect." If we bring in junk into our hearts, certainly we will be producing what is consistent with our intake. Very often I'm surprised with my negative or sinful attitude and I wonder where is this coming from. A careful look of the recent past will reveal that I've been storing in my heart unproductive or damaging stuff. I polluted the content of my heart and I did not do anything to reverse the effects. Now I'm drinking and others are drinking what I have been storing.

Our hearts are too important to neglect them. They need a constant and careful guardian eye, making sure that what comes in has a pure source. If all I watch and listen is junk, then sooner or later I will behave and speak junk. I must be very aware of what I allow to come into my heart. Proverbs says that above all things we must guard our hearts because from it life spring out. Sometimes we are really good keeping away from bad things, but we become complacent with unproductive things. We may not fill our hearts with impure contents, but we fill our hearts with air. Either way, we will not have a reliable source for life. The only way is to fill our hearts with what pleases God.

PRAYER

Lord Jesus, thanks again for reminding me about the importance of guarding my heart. Please forgive me for the junk and the air I allow in it. Help me to fill my heart with the treasures of your Word. Amen.

No comments: