Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Thursday, April 1, 2010

RELYING ON GOD. By Pastor Fernando

SCRIPTURE - 2 Corinthians 1:8-9

We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about the hardships we suffered in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even of life. Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead.

OBSERVATION
Through transparency, Paul reveals his struggles and ministers with hope to the people in Corinth. He openly shares about his hardships because he understands God's purpose when life is not smooth. Life is not fair, but God is always good. Paul knows that his trials helped him to rely not in himself, but on God. Rather than eating away his faith, his troubles increased his faith. He knew how to handle problems and use them for God's glory.

APPLICATION
One of the signs of a mature character in a believer is his or her ability to deal with trials. God allows those uncomfortable moments in our lives to create a greater dependency on Him. We get closer to God when life throws its punches. But our human nature has the tendency to either fight or flight. We try to fight with our own strength or we run away ignoring what's going on. But in Christ, we can face all our trials with faith and hope because the power of the resurrection is available through our communion with the Holy Spirit.

Very recently I realized that are still many areas of struggle in my life where I rely on my own strength and not in the power of God. The more I surrender to His will and power, the more freedom and healing I will experience. And even though I believe firmly in transparency, sometimes I'm afraid of sharing my struggles with others. I need to press on and rely more on God's power, love and grace for me.

PRAYER
Dear heavenly Father, thank you so much for the trails and struggles that are allowed in my journey. I know that they are not there to stop me, but to propel me into a greater faith and closeness with you. Please forgive me for the many times I deal with them in my own strength, relying on my own. I surrender all those things to you and I pray that I will have the courage and strength to walk according to your plan, not mine. Amen!