Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Thursday, April 29, 2010

ARE YOU AWARE? By Pastor Fernando

SCRIPTURE - Psalm 139:23-24

Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

OBSERVATION

David is asking God to make him more aware of the true condition of his heart. David knows that when we go through trials and our character is tested, we will discover our hidden anxiety and sinfulness. David understands the importance of being objective about the condition of his heart and totally depends on God's sovereignty to be aware of his weaknesses and blind spots. This kind of prayer should be taken seriously, especially when God answers it and we are tested.

APPLICATION

Building relationships with people that are not aware of their true condition can be very frustrating. Only when we are tested the truth comes to surface. And even when confronted with the truth, some people play defensive and don't want to admit what they see in the mirror. For whatever reason (fear, insecurity, lack of trust,) people keep going through life unaware of their anxiety and offensive ways. And such condition doesn't help them to build healthy and rewarding relationships.

But a worse scenario is when the person through trials becomes aware of the true condition of his heart, has good intentions, but does not grow out of it. It may be stubbornness and unwillingness to change. It could also be self-deception. Whatever reason or excuse, the enemy is behind any plan to keep us from growing in character and building healthy relationships.

PRAYER

Dear heavenly Father, I need to stay closer to you every single moment so you can reveal the true condition of my heart. Let me be aware of who I am and of who you are. I am broken, but you are my healer. Please search me and reveal my anxiousness and sinfulness as I go though life's tests. And as I become more aware, give me the humility to repent and grow. Also help me to be gracious with others the same way you are gracious to me. When they are not aware of their compulsions, let me guide them with faithfulness and let me speak the truth in love. Amen.