Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

SCRIPTURE
So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I'm not like a boxer that misses his punches. I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should.
1 Corinthians 9:26-27

OBSERVATION
Paul knows exactly what he is doing. As he reveals his intention to find common ground with all people so we can bring them close to God, he explains that he is not moving intuitively but purposely. He knows what steps to take next because he has calculated the route, the pathway to follow. He is not throwing punches in the air hoping to hit something. He loves the harvest, so he studies the harvest. He tries to find creative ways to reach more people for Christ. But also, he has developed a regimen that keeps him in shape for the race. He is not going to sprint and be done after few yards. He know how to pace himself. He knows how to train so his body responds the way he wants.

APPLICATION
Learning to play squash is great challenge or me during this season of my life. I always liked racket sports so I understand the hard work that needs to be made in order to gain the skills. Drills and training are essential in order to play well. Sometimes I'm in the court and I can think in the right play to make, but my body does not reach, or my skills don't allow me to make the play I know is right. The same is true with our relationship with God. We know what to do in order to grow in our relationship with Christ, but our conditioning does not match our intentions. Our mind muscle over-promises, but out body muscle under-delivers. The only solution for this problem is a diligent regimen of drills and training.

During this fast the first things that the Lord has brought to my attention have to do with my spiritual regimen. There are certain disciplines that I have had embrace in the past that are now neglected. I used to get up every morning to slide on the side of my bed, and on my knees, consecrate my day before the Lord in prayer. There are so many other drills that I must diligently practice so my conditioning is ultimate to face the challenges of my assignment.

PRAYER
Dear heavenly Father, thank you so much for reminding me once again the importance of my spiritual regimen. Let me be diligent in those things that are non-negotiable and that will condition my mind and body for an amazing service to you and your people. Let me go back to those things that are sometimes monotonous but that will shape me and sharpen me to become more effective in my assignment. Training and drills are not the most enjoyable thing, but they are worth it when I know what they are producing in me. Help me to always remember that!

No comments: