Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Thursday, March 19, 2009

SCRIPTURE

So be careful not to jump to conclusions before the Lord returns as to whether or not someone is faithful. When the Lord comes, he will bring our deepest secrets to light and will reveal our private motives. And then God will give to everyone whatever praise is due.
1 Corinthians 4:5

OBSERVATION
Paul here is pointing out the human tendency to jump to conclusions and to judge people's faithfulness based on our limited knowledge. We can only see the results that are tangible to our senses and our judgment is subjective, disingenuous at best, and unfair at worse. But God can reveal the secrets and the motives of people's hearts. His judgment alone is accurate and flawless. He alone can say who is faithful and who is not.

APPLICATION
In our culture is common to reward people for their superior performances. There are awards for every discipline. We like to recognize those who go beyond and above. On the other hand, our culture is also very critical of those who does not meet certain standards. Heroes and villains are depicted in lists of "the best of" and "the worse of." Competitions for best performances are everywhere, and along with them, the eccentric judges that are supposed to know it all.

Unfortunately, the same practice has been embraced by some followers of Christ in matters that only God has the complete facts to make an accurate assessment and judgment. Only God can say who is faithful and who is not. And the day certainly will come for each one of us to be measured by God Himself. He will open the book of our lives for everyone to see. Only then, the real heroes will emerge.

Two things need to be applied into my life about this. First, I must work in my faithfulness to God and His assignment for my life in the secret. I cannot pretend that my faithfulness is reflected in my human results. I can have the best performance on paper, but have the worse motives in my heart. I need to work on my heart and make sure that I'm honoring God. So when the book of my life opens for everyone to see, that there will be no surprises. Second, I cannot determine who is faithful and who is not. When I'm impressed by someone's performance, I need to remember that only God can determine if that person is faithful. And when I'm not impressed with their performance, it does not mean that they are not faithful. There are many unfaithful leaders that are praised and put on pedestals. There are many true faithful servants hidden somewhere where the spotlight does not reach.

PRAYER
Dear heavenly Father, thank you for reminding me that you are the judge, not me. Forgive me for the many times I have labeled people as faithful or unfaithful. You are the only one that can cast an accurate judgment. Help me to focus in my own assignment and to be faithful to You. And also keep me away from judging others. Let me respect them as I refrain from any kind of unfair assessments and labels. Amen.

No comments: