Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Monday, February 2, 2009

FRIENDS THAT DARE. By Pastor Fernando


SCRIPTURE


Moses said to the Lord, "...You call me by name and tell me I have found favor with you. Please, if this is really so, show me your intentions so I will understand you more fully and do exactly what you want me to do..."

And the Lord replied, "I will personally go with you, Moses. I will give you rest - everything will be fine for you."

Then Moses said, “If you don’t personally go with us, don’t make us leave this place. How will anyone know that you look favorably on me—on me and on your people—if you don’t go with us? For your presence among us sets your people and me apart from all other people on the earth.”

The Lord replied to Moses, “I will indeed do what you have asked, for I look favorably on you, and I know you by name (You are my friend).”

Moses responded, “Then show me your glorious presence.”

Exodus 33:12-18

OBSERVATION

This recorded conversation between Moses and God is fully charged with Moses' boldness. This same guy years before was timid and self conscious facing the burning bush and speaking to Pharaoh. Now. Moses has become a confident man, willing to dare and ask God the most amazing requests. It seems that Moses is trying to manipulate God. But when you look into this man's heart, his request was sincere and based in the friendship he had with God. Because of their close relationship, Moses dared to ask God for the most important and precious things. He dared to ask God to reveal His intentions clearly so he could lead the people with vision and purpose. God offered to give him that and even more - rest and success. Moses dared to ask God for His constant and evident company. God complied to this request because that's what friends do. They never withhold relationship or companionship. And then, Moses dared to ask the impossible... He asked to see God's glorious presence... And the Lord revealed Himself to Moses in a way that friends only do!

APPLICATION

Very recently I've been blessed with great friendships. In the past I had what we call "best friends" that came and went according to different seasons of my life. But recently, starting with my outstanding friendship with my wife Karen, I have found the rich blessing of outstanding and unique relationships. When you have these kind of friends - people that want the very best for you and people that you love sincerely for who they are, not for what they can do for you - you feel more confident to be open, to be vulnerable, and to dare to ask what normally you would not ask of others. My requests are not burdens for my friends because we have a clear understanding of our relationship. They dare to ask of me what others could not. And I dare to ask of them...

My friendship with God gives me access to dare to ask what seems outrageous and impossible. Jesus even challenged us to ask God whatever we need in prayer because friends dare. True friends neither demand nor manipulate. They do not threaten to interrupt their relationship if they do not get what they want. They simple trust each other and dare to ask boldly. There is a level of trust in a friendship that only those who have it understand it.

This morning, I'm exhorted to trust in my friendship with God. I can dare to ask amazing things and trust God for the right response, whether I like it or not. Lately, I've been apprehensive about what I dare to ask before God. The enemy doesn't want me to understand the blessings I have in my friendship with God. I can come to Him at any time. He will not be bothered by my requests. I can trust Him completely. He is my friend. And he will give me companionship, rest, success, and more of His presence as I follow Him.

PRAYER
Dear heavenly Father, thank you so much for the friendship and favor you have given me, not for what I have done, but because of your grace. Forgive me for not honoring our friendship the way I'm supposed to. Make me more bold and intimate in your presence. Let me be more open, sincere, and trustworthy before You. Let me dare to ask of You the things that You can only do in my life, and grant me more intimacy, rest, and success in all my endeavors. Even though you are my King, my Master, my Boss, My Father, you are always my friend. Thank you for your sincere friendship! You are my very best friend for all eternity. Reveal your presence to me more and more. I will do the same! That's what friends do! Amen!

No comments: