Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Monday, November 8, 2010

THE SUPREMACY OF GOD'S WISDOM. By Pastor Fernando

SCRIPTURE - 1 Corinthians 1:18-25

18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written: “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.”

20 Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. 22 Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, 23 but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24 but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.

OBSERVATION

Paul reveals his philosophy of life and ministry as he writes to the Corinthians. A sincere sense of humility is at the core of Paul's values. He recognizes that the wisdom of God cannot be compared to the wisdom of this world. In fact, what this word considers important, the wisdom of God disregards as meaningless. God's methods are sometimes opposite from the world's methods. And even though God has called to himself people that are wise in the world's standards and wants to use them in His kingdom, Paul is concerned that there is too much of the world's wisdom in the way the church lives and operates. He uses his own life and ministry as an example of God's power working through in amazing ways when we simply prioritize and embrace God's wisdom.

APPLICATION

In the same way Paul was concerned about the church in Corinth, I'm concerned about the way I prioritize the wisdom of this world over the wisdom of God. Starting with my own life, I usually follow the advice of what in our world is considered "wise." I have my favorite financial advisers, health and fitness advisers, parenting advisers, etc. I personally believe that following their wisdom will bless me, but it will be never at the level that God's wisdom can bless my life. Following the world's wisdom requires common sense but following God's wisdom requires faith. Am I willing to challenge my human common sense and that risks by placing my faith in God?

When it comes to my ministry, I know that my success has nothing to do with my personal abilities. I'm a living example that God uses the foolish things of this world. As I honestly assess myself, I can see shortcomings in many areas that by common sense we would consider as crucial and important to succeed. But God's wisdom has been revealed in my own life and His favor in my ministry declares that it is by HIS power, not mine. There is a balance to keep between our human wisdom and God's wisdom. We need both. However, there are times where I favor human wisdom over God's wisdom. I may make good decisions that way, but I miss the opportunity to make optimum decisions that will bring more miracles and blessings in my life and ministry.

PRAYER
Dear heavenly Father, thank you so much for speaking so kindly yet so firmly about this lack of balance in my own life. I cannot live tilting the balance on the side of human wisdom. I must live more on the side of your wisdom, which requires a greater amount of faith. Please forgive me for relying more on common sense rather than on faith in your promises. Help me to be very good at living a life and ministry where the wisdom of this world is often embarrassed because your ways are more fruitful, everlasting, and effective. Give me the leadership gifts to motivate our church leaders to never disregard their human wisdom, but to pursue and prioritize your wisdom above everything else. I love you Lord, Amen.

No comments: