Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Thursday, November 11, 2010

THE PRICE FOR THE PRIZE. By Pastor Fernando

SCRIPTURE - 1 Corinthians 9:24-27

24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. 27 No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

OBSERVATION


Paul highlights here the importance of self-discipline in order to walk with Christ. This is a process of surrendering our comfort consistently for what is best for the advancement of the Kingdom of God in our lives. Paul uses the illustration of an athlete as a parallel to our journey with Christ. We cannot go through the motions of Christianity, running aimlessly, but we should run with purpose, knowing that what we do in training will eventually produce a great result in the race. Without an intentional regimen of self-discipline we will be disqualified for the race because we have not been diligent developing what it takes to run to win.

APPLICATION

Even though I enjoy playing sports, I've never been attracted to become highly competitive. And even though I like to win in sports, I'm not interested in paying the price that requires to get to the top of the podium. I'm simply not competitive. Now, when it comes to my health, I know the importance of daily exercise and balanced diet. But I avoid exercising like a plague and once in a while I eat too much of what I shouldn't. I'm simply not diligent.

The problem with this attitude is that when it comes to our race of life and living the way that God intends, I could easily ditch self-discipline and go through the motions. Training is not fun for those who are not jazzed about winning, but it's everything for those who want to succeed. If I'm serious about becoming a fully devoted follower of Christ, I need to be serious about being intentional applying a regimen of self-discipline in daily prayer, devotions, personal Bible study, character development, and leadership training. I know that the Holy Spirit is doing a huge work in me, but I must also partner with Him and do everything possible in my life so He can bring genuine spiritual growth in me.

PRAYER

Dear heavenly father, please forgive me for my laziness and lack of intentionality in being diligent with my spiritual regimen. I want to grow, but I'm not paying the price for the prize. Let me become more competitive in this run so I'm not running aimlessly but with a clear purpose, training hard, devoted to the spiritual disciplines when no one else is watching, but growing in your image more and more. I love you Lord. Amen.

No comments: