Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Thursday, August 12, 2010

JESUS' CORE VALUES: SUBMISSION AND OBEDIENCE. By Pastor Fernando

SCRIPTURE - Hebrews 5:7-10

During the days of Jesus' life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. Although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him and was designated by God to be high priest in the order of Melchizedek.

OBSERVATION

In this passage of Hebrews, the Holy Spirit reveals the core values of our Lord Jesus. For Him, submission to God’s plan and obedience to His ways was paramount for His assignment in life. The greatest miracle that Jesus performed was to completely submit and obey God. And this miracle was not easy because required lots of suffering. But it is the most effective miracle because it made Jesus the source of eternal salvation for all who believe and put their trust in Him.

APPLICATION

Certainly we would like to perform great miracles to reveal the glory and power of God. Healing people, raising the dead, accurate prophecies about the future, all of them are very impressive. But none of them compare with the miracle of a life fully submitted and obedient to God’s ways. It’s easier to heal someone than to fully submit and obey God’s ways. We don’t see Jesus in the Gospels crying out to God with loud petitions and tears to heal someone. He only does that when facing the challenges of God’s will, when facing the suffering that comes when we have to chose between our way and God’s way.

In my own life I can recall many times when I’ve been crying out to God to use me to do great things in people’s lives, but very seldom I cry out with intensity for the miracle of full submission and obedience to His ways. When I struggle between what I want and what God wants I don’t seek the Lord with loud cries and tears, and I choose the option with less suffering. Maybe it’s time, as I grow as a follower of Christ, to embrace this passion for righteousness, and to seek the Lord with fear and trembling, asking Him to do the greatest miracle in me, to lay down my life and my plan, and to embrace God’s perfect will for me.

PRAYER

Dear Heavenly Father, here I am renewing my mind to conform to yours. Help me to have this intense desire and passion to become more submitted and obedient to your plan and will for my life. I want to grow in the fear of the Lord. Please help me to stay away from whatever damages my relationship with you. Let your core values be mine. Amen!

No comments: