Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Thursday, March 25, 2010

STEWARDING GOD'S GRACE. By Pastor Fernando

SCRIPTURE - 1 Corinthians 10:6-11
6Now these things occurred as examples to keep us from setting our hearts on evil things as they did. 7Do not be idolaters, as some of them were; as it is written: "The people sat down to eat and drink and got up to indulge in pagan revelry." 8We should not commit sexual immorality, as some of them did—and in one day twenty-three thousand of them died. 9We should not test the Lord, as some of them did—and were killed by snakes. 10And do not grumble, as some of them did—and were killed by the destroying angel. 11These things happened to them as examples and were written down as warnings for us, on whom the fulfillment of the ages has come.

OBSERVATION
Paul reveals that the accounts recorded in the OT about the wanderings of the people of Israel for 40 years in the desert are not just cute stories for Sunday school. They are more than that! They are clear illustrations of what could happen in our own personal journey with the Lord. We may think that because God's grace manifests in His provision and blessings over our lives, we can do whatever we want. Israel had the miraculous provision of food, shelter, and protection. Yet, they practiced idolatry, immorality, ingratitude, and rebellion. And even though God's grace was upon them, God was not pleased with them. What happened to them is a warning to us. We cannot take God's grace for granted. We need to examine our hearts and repent from any weakness of character as we travel our journey with the Lord.

APPLICATION
Sometimes we think we can get away with our consistent sinful behavior because God's grace has no limits. We are sorry, we make a prayer of repentance, but we don't live in repentance. We go back again to the same sin like a dog goes back to its vomit. And sadly, we think this behavior is not a big deal. This is the reason why so many people walk with God's grace but without pleasing the Lord.

In my own personal life I see this sinful tendency as well. I believe in God's grace and I proclaim it every time I can. But I can see in my behavior how sometimes I think I can give up in temptation because of God's grace. Well, first of all, God's grace is not for me to keep on the same sins. On the contrary, God's grace gives me the opportunity to walk away from them in freedom and victory. God's grace purpose is to set me free from my sin, not to keep me slaved to my sin. And what happened to the people of Israel in the desert could happen to me as well. I could walk enjoying the blessings of God's grace, and still miss the promised land because I'm displeasing the Lord.

PRAYER
Dear heavenly Father, this morning I realize how easy is to take your precious grace for granted. Please forgive me for the many times I gave up in temptation because I knew that your grace would cover my faults. Let me not only enjoy your blessings, but also please you with a life of obedience and constant surrender to your ways. Let me avoid idolatry, immorality, grumblings, rebellion, and ingratitude. My heart is to have a life that pleases you, and today, once again, I commit to live such a life. Please allow me to use your grace correctly in such a way that every thing in me is pleasing to you. Amen!

No comments: