Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Thursday, September 10, 2009

THE FUNK ZONE. By Pastor Fernando

SCRIPTURE
20 I will never forget this awful time,
as I grieve over my loss.
21 Yet I still dare to hope
when I remember this:
22 The faithful love of the Lord never ends!
His mercies never cease.
23 Great is his faithfulness;
his mercies begin afresh each morning.
Lamentations 3:20-23

OBSERVATION
How disappointing life can be! Sometimes life offers awful times and brings overwhelming grief. Our human nature is tested to a break point, and reveals the true character of our soul. Jeremiah sees those moments as opportunities to have hope in God's love and mercies. He went through so much pain and hurt. He did not have anything left. Yet he refused to give up hope in who God is! Jeremiah knows that God's love is faithful and with no limits. He knows that God's mercies are new every morning.

APPLICATION
For some strange reason, I find that people easily forget the dimensions of God's love, His commitment to be faithful to His promises, and His everlasting provision of mercy for every circumstance in our lives. This is the Funk Zone. Many people live there. They get their mail in that address. They live in a funk of self-pity, guilt, shame, judgment and resentment. And then everything becomes funky! No hope and no future!

In my own life, sometimes I dwell more in the negative side of my circumstances rather that in the power of God to take me through each one of them. I can see how the funk zone gets closer and closer. The key is to get out the funk by remembering who God is. Singing praises to God reminds us of His character and pull us away from the funk. For that reason, is imperative that I come to God's presence every time I feel I'm entering in the funk zone. And as I seek the Lord with all my heart in whatever circumstance I go through, I will find the hope and the promise that will take me to peace and restoration.

PRAYER
Dear heavenly Father, thank you so much for reminding me this morning about your everlasting love, your faithfulness, and your new mercies. If it wasn't for them, I would be be very lost. Please help me to stay away from the funk zone and use me to help people get out of there when life hits them hard. Take me to your secret place, where your presence waits for me, so I can sit at your feet, be quiet in your glory, and be embraced by your love and grace. Amen!

No comments: