Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

TATOOING THE HEART. By Pastor Fernando

SCRIPTURE

Let love and faithfulness never leave you;
bind them around your neck,
write them on the tablet of your heart.
Then you will win favor and a good name
in the sight of God and man.
Proverbs 3:3-4

OBSERVATION
Solomon believes in engraving or tattooing the heart with two important character traits: love and faithfulness. I have no tattoos in my body and I would never condemn anyone for tattooing themselves. But when I observe people, I can see that some tattoos are silly and some are really cool. I specially like the ones that remind people of something special, like the memory of a loved one, or a personal and noble goal in life. For some people tattoos are not a trend. The ink art defines who they are. Solomon is not suggesting that we need to tattoo our bodies in order to be better people, but he is asking us to engrave God's principles in our hearts to remind us who we are. In that way, we will be always reminded of who we are and how we react to situations in life.

APPLICATION
I'm the kind of guy that needs to re-engrave my heart with God's principles in a consistent basis. Love and faithfulness are the two big ones that Solomon prioritizes to be engraved in our hearts. No mater what we are going through, when our love and faithfulness guide us every step of the way, we will find ourselves making excellent decisions, honoring God, and being a blessing to those around us. Sometimes I react to situations forgetting who I am and the character I must exercise. I guess the engraving is not deep enough and the ink in my heart is faded. But the Holy Spirit is waiting for me ready to engrave my heart deep with His wisdom.

PRAYER
Dear heavenly Father, thank you so much for reminding me of the most basic things that I must engrave in my heart. Holy Spirit, please carve love and faithfulness deep in the tablet of my heart and use the most visible ink to write your words over my mind. So when I have to respond to a situation, love and faithfulness will flow naturally out of my heart. Let me honor you always as you tattoo my heart with your image. I love you Lord. Amen!

No comments: