Doing Devotions Together

We want you to take a look at what God is speaking to our church staff! This blog will help you to be encouraged by what others journal about. Also, it will assist you as you improve the way you journal. We use the SOAP system (Scripture, Observation, Application, and Prayer). To learn more about how the SOAP System works when doing daily devotions and journaling, click here!

Feel free to post some comments! We would love to interact with you and help you to learn how to be mentored directly by the Holy Spirit!

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

UNCOMFORTABLE

SCRIPTURE
As they studied the Law, they discovered that the Lord had commanded through Moses that the Israelites should live in shelters during the festival to be held that month.
Nehemiah 8:14

OBSERVATION
As the people studied the Scriptures, they realized about God's command to Moses to build shelters and live in them for seven days to celebrate their exodus. With this festival, God wanted to remind His people that during their time wandering in the desert, when things were very uncomfortable, He always provided for their needs and took them to a place of safety, peace, and comfort. Almost immediately they set their hearts to obey and they follow the instructions for the festival. They built these little shelters made out of branches and lived there under these uncomfortable conditions during the celebration.

APPLICATION
Even though I love the outdoors, I'm not a camping person. I like a comfortable bed to sleep and a restroom nearby, with a shower. So when I think about what the people of Israel did here, I have to deal with my sense of obedience to God, specially for the things that are uncomfortable for me. Even though sounds silly, this is really a big deal. God wants me to depend on Him, but I will never learn how to if I keep my life safe and comfortable. He wants to challenge me by taking risks in uncomfortable areas. Rather than ignoring His instructions towards the uncomfortable, I should be more willing to trust and obey Him. Comfort is one of the most common idols in our culture. We cannot serve two masters. We must choose God's instructions over the comfort this world offers.

PRAYER
Dear heavenly Father, please forgive me for ignoring and running away from your instructions that take me out of my comfort zone and into a challenging situation. Give me a genuine desire to trust and obey you. Forgive me for feeling entitled to comfort. Remind me that no matter the situation you are always with me and you will always provide for my needs. Help me to live as if my true comfort comes from knowing that I obey your instructions. Amen!

No comments: